Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Perfectly Imperfect



How Not To Be Perfect by Ralph Smart (Infinite Waters Diving Deep on Youtube)





"How Not To Be Perfect",  a video by Youtuber, Ralph Smart, is a video I came across awhile ago, when I was going through my own insecurity issues. Ralph, who has a background in psychology, is also a motivational speaker, with a new age perspective on how we are meant to be living in todays society. I've followed him for a number of months now, and find all his videos to be extremely informational and educational. He always puts me in a great mood, and makes me think deeply about some of the issues at hand that we're constantly faced with in this world. 


"Perfection", which according to the online web is defined as "the condition, state, or quality of being free or as free as possible from all flaws or defects", is something that most people feel the need to strive for. People often times, out of fear, feel as though they have to strive for perfection for some sort of validation from the world. As if looking great makes you a better person. However, while the idea of perfection seems so attractive and positive, it can also lead people to extremes, to the point where they are trying so hard to be perfect, that they never end up happy. In that case, I think that is when the idea of "perfection" becomes tainted. 



In "How Not To Be Perfect", Ralph does a great job at identifying the fact that we don't need to be perfect. We are, as I would like to say, "perfectly imperfect". In the video he gives five ways not to be perfect.



Five ways not to be perfect, according to Ralph Smart

1. Let go of expectations
2. Mistakes are okay
3. Less is more
4. Set a time limit
5. Observe nature  


Based on this, I feel as though I can only agree with Ralph in his suggestions. We as humans, need to observe nature and learn to be more like it. We need to learn how to just be free, and not allow for the expectations of others to change the way we see ourselves.  Once we can live without expectation, and live life freely, we will find that we can be content with ourselves, and in that all-natural "flawed" state, we will feel perfectly imperfect.






1 comment:

  1. Jessica,
    He has his own path and way of responding to the insanity of society, and I respect anyone who has their own way that works for them. But I personally find that in my line of work, I do need to spend five hours- or more on a project. I guess I am like Victor. I am glad you sought a way to work through the pressure of perfection. I am interested in the journey, trying to be present. I live the suggestion around the natural world. Thanks for this;)

    ReplyDelete