Thursday, June 19, 2014

Perfection as an Illusion





Salvador Dali couldn't have said it any better, if I do say so myself. 


When I was in high school, I always strived for perfection. Anything less than an "A" was inexcusable, I busted my ass off to become valedictorian, and words couldn't describe the amount of joy I felt when I received a college acceptance letter to Columbia University with a scholarship. I had gotten everything I had wanted. I had achieved, what I had considered, a perfect academic track and a perfect opportunity in life. It didn't take me long to come to the conclusion that what seems perfect to the rest of the world, sometimes really isn't perfect.


It wasn't perfect being 4 hours away from the people I loved
It wasn't perfect being in a school where everyone was in competition with one another
It wasn't perfect struggling to pay financial aid
It wasn't perfect missing special occasions in Boston
It wasn't perfect feeling inferior to the crowd
It wasn't perfect feeling lost
It wasn't perfect feeling alone


I finally gave up on the idea of "perfection", withdrew from my dream school (which had an acceptance rate of 12%), came back to Boston, rejoined my family and found a college that accepted my love and desire for sketching. And at the moment when I made all those changes, and started to shift my energy towards my passion, that felt "perfect". However, even today all those desires and dreams are shifting as we speak. What I want now, is nowhere near what I wanted then or even what I have at the moment.


Perfection is something we can chase all we want, but guess what? You'll never reach it.



No comments:

Post a Comment